Carpet Spot Cleaning Tips
Most carpets today have been treated with some type of fabric protectant or sealant, but that does not mean your carpet is completely dirt or spill proof. You will have better results removing the stain if you attempt to remove it when it happens, rather than waiting. The longer you wait, the higher the possibility that the stain will become permanent.
- Always pre-test the fabric you are cleaning to ensure that it is colorfast. Pre-testing can be done simply by applying the cleaning agent to a part of the carpet where you can’t see it, and blot for 30 seconds. Make sure there is no damage to the yarn, loss of color, or color transfer.
- You should always use a dry white terry cloth towel or plain white paper towel to remove stains (never use a colored towel or printed paper towels as the color from the towel can seep into the carpet).
- Start by blotting up the wet stain carefully until almost dry. If it is a dry spill or if the liquid spill has some solids to it, gently scrape off the carpet and vacuum any amount you can with a Shop-Vac or a dry/wet vac.
- Don’t be aggressive and never scrub the carpet, as you risk distorting the yarn permanently which will create a wear mark where you are cleaning.
- Put some of the cleaning agent on the white towel and work it in onto the stain.
- Repeat continuously but gently until the stain has been removed. You need to be patient, as it could take several minutes or longer to remove the stain.
- Once the stain has been removed, lightly rinse the spot with cold water to remove as much as the cleaning agent as possible.
- Please note that although many cleaning chemicals may be safe for carpets, if they are not completely removed they will attract dirt very quickly to the spot.
Posted on December 13, 2012, in carpet cleaning and tagged carpet cleaning, carpet odor, carpet powder, carpet shampoo, carpet spray, carpet stains, citrus carpet cleaning, fabric cleaning, green carpet cleaning, organic carpet cleaning, oriental rug cleaning, persian rug cleaning, pet stain removal, pet stains, rug cleaning, steam cleaning, upholstery cleaning. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Carpet Spot Cleaning Tips.